Who’s Who in Montessori?
Have you ever wondered who else might have attended a Montessori school? The list is impressive and includes many names you will recognize.
Familiar Names of People Who Were Montessori Educated
- Larry Page and Sergey Brin , co-founders of Google
- Katherine Graham, owner/editor of the Washington Post
- Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis, editor, former first lady
- Sean ‘P.Diddy’ (formerly known as Puffy) Combs, RAP mega-star
- Anne Frank, famous diarist from World War II
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel Prize winner for Literature
- Jeff Bezos, financial analyst, founder, Amazon.com
- Prince William and Prince Harry, English royal family
- T. Berry Brazelton, noted pediatrician and author
- Julia Child, famous chef, star of many TV cooking shows and author of numerous cookbooks
- Elizabeth Berridge, actress (Constanze, in Amadeus)
- Kami Cotler, actress (youngest child on long-running series The Waltons)
- Melissa and Sarah Gilbert, actresses
Famous People Who Chose Montessori for Their Children
- Stephen J. Cannell, TV writer/producer/director (The Rockford Files and many others)
- Patty Duke Austin, actress
- Cher Bono, singer-actress
- John Bradshaw, psychologist and author
- Yul Brynner, actor
- Marcy Carcy, TV producer
- Bill and Hillary Clinton, former president and NY senator
- Michael Douglas, actor
- Shari Lewis, puppeteer
- Yo Yo Ma, cellist
- Barbara Kingsolver, novelist
Others with a Montessori Connection
- Alexander Graham Bell, noted inventor, and his wife Mabel founded the Montessori Education Association in 1913. They also provided financial support directly to Dr. Montessori and helped establish the first Montessori class in Canada and one of the first in the United States.
- Mister Rogers, children’s TV personality, was a strong supporter of Montessori education.
- Thomas Edison, noted scientist and inventor, helped found a Montessori school.
- President Wilson’s daughter trained as a Montessori teacher. There was a Montessori classroom in the basement of the White House during Wilson’s presidency.